For no other reason than that I am bored, I have decided to list my top 10 favourite songs, why I like them so much and how they help me (or not) through my struggles with BPD, anxiety and depression.
To me, music is very powerful. It has the ability to stir up all kinds of emotions in me. I’m the kind of person that listens intently to the words and interpret them in such a way, so as they are relevant to me.
I like that I have such an eclectic taste in music. I don’t follow any particular artist. If I like a song then I don’t care who sings it or what genre it’s from. From cheesy pop to hard rock, anything goes. So here is my list. It would also be interesting to hear from others what songs help them through their struggles.
10. Roar, by Katy Perry. Most would dismiss this as a cheesy pop song but I find the words extremely inspiring. To me it means, no matter how many setbacks you have in life, you can always come back stronger.
9. Sound of Silence, by Disturbed. To me this song is about loneliness and an inability to communicate properly with others. I can relate because I am often isolated from the rest of the world because I choose to stay hidden because of my anxiety. I relate so well to what this song means to me, I have the opening lines tattooed on my right arm.
8. You Learn, by Alanis Morissette. This song, to me, is about everything we go through our lives being a learning curve. You have to have both good and bad times in order to be able to learn how to deal with what life throws at you. I’ve been listening to this song since my early teens, over 20 years, and I’m still not bored of hearing it.
7. Bring it all Back, by S Club 7. Another cheesy pop song with, what I believe, is a truly inspiring message.
6. Flowers in the Window, by Travis. Such a happy song about the joys of bringing new life into the world. Something I hope to experience myself someday.
5. Someone Like You, by Adele. I think that most of us have had what we would call “the one that got away”, I know I do. This song is about missing what you had with that person and hoping that you will be able to find something similar with somebody else.
4. Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing, by Aerosmith. When you’re so in love with someone that you don’t want to miss a moment of you’re time together. What I wouldn’t give to have that feeling again.
3. Creep, by Radiohead. Sometimes I hear this song and it’s as if it was written just for me. Not the ideal song to listen to when my mood isn’t great but I relate so well to the words.
2. Cest La Vie, by B*Witched. Yet another cheesy pop song. People have laughed at me for how much I love this song but it’s just so happy and cheerful. If this song can’t lift my mood then I know something is seriously wrong.
1.My Immortal, by Evanescence. Such a beautifully haunting song. I have come close to suicide in the past and this song makes me think about how it would have affected the people I left behind. How they might feel that whatever they did wasn’t enough to keep me here. I never want to make anybody feel like that so I’m determined that I get on top of all my mental health problems.